[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Cookies: summary

Tom Fetherston <tdf@ble.org> asked for a summary of the cookies discussion.
  > Suggested summary headers:
  >
  > A.  What is the security risk/threat of 1) implementing cookie distribution
  > 2) receiving cookes with your browser?
In neither case is there a *security* risk.  There is a privacy risk to
the user.

  > B.  Can a cookie server possibly write to other files besides the
  > cookie database?
Not if the client is implemented correctly.

  > C.  How can the risk/threat be minimized or eliminated?
I believe the only risk is a privacy risk to the user.  If you suppress
all cookies, you avoid the risk.  (One cute Unix hack someone here
mentioned is to create a symbolic link from the cookie file to
/dev/null.  Poof!  No more cookies.)  On other platforms, enable
whatever options will allow you to suppress accumulating cookies.

Dave Kristol